What to do on a lazy Saturday?
Re-Watch the audio commentary of SPIDER-MAN 2 of course!
It’s Wedding Season and I feel like Vince Vaughn: Fired up and ready to party.
Here’s a guide on what to do and not do from the movies
Finding Out About the Wedding
- Do: Bury your anxiety and drink up like Annie in “Bridesmaids”
- Do Not: Hatch an evil plan to break them up like Julianne in “My Best Friend’s Wedding”
Who to Invite
- Definitely invite Kristin Scott Thomas from “Four Weddings and a Funeral” because she’s elegant and always rocks the black so it won’t clash
- Definitely do not invite Steve Buccemi from “The Wedding Singer” unless he’s on the wagon.
- Good: “Romeo + Juliet.” That amazing choir soloist!
- Bad: “Kill Bill Part 2” obviously
- Good: “Coming To America” Now that’s a royal wedding!
- Bad: “The Princess Bride” Having a 100 year old bishop and an old heckler can’t be good
Crashing The Wedding
- Like a Champion: Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson in “Wedding Crashers”
- Like a Stalker: Christina Applegate and Cameron Diaz in “The Sweetest Thing”
Perfect Gift If You’re Cheap:
- Lend the couple “The Way You Look Tonight” as their wedding song like Julianne in “My Best Friend’s Wedding”
Perfect Gift If You’re Not Cheap
- Buy them a house next door like in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”
Rehearsal Dinner Toast
- Do: After telling a guy to f*&k off, give a sweet toast using the bride’s name like Samantha in “Sex and the City”
- Do Not: Use the time to talk about your drug problem and publicly apologize as part of AA steps like Kym in “Rachel Getting Married”
Perfect Wedding Date
- Paul Rudd in “Clueless”
Not Quite Perfect Wedding Date
- Vera Farmiga in “Up in the Air”
You’ve Been Pissed at the Bride This Whole Time
- Do Not: Make a passive aggressive PowerPoint proving the bride has lied to the groom about being a vegetarian and loving dogs like Jane in “27 Dresses”
- Instead: An all out destruction of her wedding shower and giant cookie like Annie in “Bridesmaids”
- Do: Have a heart to heart with George Clooney and resolve with an airplane analogy like in “Up In The Air”
- Do Not: Get wasted and go to your ex girlfriend’s house like Taye Diggs in “The Wood”
- Do: Tasteful but fun like George and Julianne in “My Best Friend’s Wedding”
- Do Not: Basically hump the bridesmaid in public view of all like Vince Vaughn in “Wedding Crashers”
- Do: Quote Owen Wilson “True love is your soul’s recognition of it’s counterpoint in another”
- Do Not: Make confusing vampire and sex jokes like “ I’d like to propose a toast, to my new sister. Bella, I hope you’ve got enough sleep these last 18 years ‘cause you won’t be getting anymore for a while.” like in “Breaking Dawn Part 1”
Interrupting the Wedding
- Do: Scream her name and fight people off with a cross like Benjamin in “The Graduate”
- Do Not: Say the bride’s hair looks like a bird’s nest after declaring your love like in “Made of Honor”
Leaving Your Fiance at the Altar
- Do: Leave a note and peace out like Mary Jane Watson in “Spider-Man 2”
- Do Not: Get your deaf brother to out you for not loving your fiance like in “Four Weddings and a Funeral”
HAPPY WEDDING SEASON!
While visiting New York City a few weeks ago, I was walking around Columbia University and encountered a familiar sight. A striking church with high tower and beautiful stained glass windows. On closer inspection, I realized this was the Riverside Church, the place where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous speech decrying the war in Vietnam a year before he was assassinated in Memphis.
Thinking later, I couldn’t be sure my interest in Civil Rights history drew me to this building. Then I re-watched “Spider-Man 2” and I realized the structure was so familiar because that’s the church Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) was to marry Capt. John Jameson. There’s an exterior shot of the church in the film which is basically the view in this photo.
So, I was drawn to this bastion of civil rights and progressive action because of Sam Raimi and “Spider-Man 2.” That me, absolutely me.
Sam Raimi/ Tobey Maguire “Spider-Man” Memorial Post
I’m not ready for “The Amazing Spider-Man”
"Spider-Man 4" RIP.